Spartanburg United’s Academy Program is designed for U9, U10, U11 and U12 players to support and guide them as they make the transition from recreational to competitive soccer. It is ideal for the young player who is taking particular interest in the sport of soccer and appears to be ready for a higher level of training as well as increased expectations. The Junior Academy Program focuses primarily on individual player development and an emphasis on winning remains secondary.
- Players are trained by professional, US Soccer licensed coaches
- Two 90 minute training sessions per week
- Additional Speed and Agility, Technical and Goalkeeper training sessions are available
- Players train as age group pools for better balance of abilities
- Games are small sided 7 v 7 or 9 v 9 to maximize each players touches on the ball
- Academy plays on Sunday afternoons with an occasional Saturday scrimmage
- Teams may participate in tournaments, festivals and other soccer events
- A season is a year of professional training and games from mid August to early May with a winter break from late November to mid January
The Junior Academy Program expects increased commitment from its players in time and effort and players are encouraged to practice their skills at home. Players must attend practices and games in order to remain in the program as they are not optional.
All players must attend Evaluations in order to be placed on a team of the appropriate level to stimulate his/her development. This is not a “tryout” process resulting in a player being cut, but rather an opportunity for players, parents, and coaches to assess the suitability of the program to the player’s stage of development and determine proper placement.
If you are interested in joining the program please email fredbe[email protected] to check availability and an evaluation.